The humble garage door plays a surprisingly important role for homeowners. Besides providing security for the contents of your garage, they can also enhance or harm the value of your home depending on their condition and functionality. If your garage doors aren’t everything they should be, get the professional garage door maintenance and repair service from Garage Door of Indianapolis. We’ve been helping area homeowners since 1979! Call us at 317-860-0806 for a free, no obligation quote.
Castleton Home Garage Door Repair Service by Skilled Technicians
Avon Indiana: Smaller-Town Life with Big-City Options
Back when European settlers first came to this place around 1830, they called the area Smootsdell. It goes without saying that renaming the town Avon in 1870 was probably a good move. Although Avon has added more than 6,000 new residents over the past decade, its total population is only around 19,000, which means it’s the perfect place for those who want to raise kids (a third of the population is under the age of 18) in a small-town place with all the resources of a big city just minutes away. Avon is situated just 13 miles directly west of downtown Indianapolis on US Route 36, and only ten minutes from Indianapolis International Airport.
There are around 5,000 housing units in Avon, most of which are single-family homes. Homeowners who want to preserve and enhance the value of their homes can rely on the professional expertise of Garage Doors of Indianapolis for all their full service garage door needs, including replacement, repair, and maintenance. Our showroom site on W. 96th Street on the northwest corner of Indy’s beltway is where you can shop our fantastic selection of garage door products and brands if you want to purchase new garage doors—and we’ll happily handle your installation needs!
When Garage Door Service Can’t Wait: Same-Day Service!
Garage Doors of Indianapolis has always been locally owned and locally operated. Company founder Cecil McCord realized in the early years of building the business how “People don’t think about garage doors until there is a problem. When there is a problem, they want it fixed immediately…” which is what led him to establish one of most uniquely customer-centric commitments a business could make…same-day service!
Call this morning for service today. Today? TODAY!
Very few businesses are willing or able to make this kind of commitment to their customers. But for Garage Doors of Indianapolis, it’s just the way we’ve always done business and we wouldn’t have it any other way. And every customer who has ever relied on our same-day service is very happy we’ve made this kind of commitment. We are ready to fulfill our same-day service commitment to all homeowners in Avon!
The ABCs of the Single Most Common Garage Door Problem
The vast majority of garage doors today are automatic, which means you’ve got one or more handy little remote controls that let you open and close your garage door with the push of a button. By far the most common problem you’ll encounter with an automatic garage door is when you press the button and nothing happens. Don’t panic! There are a series of things you can do to determine if the problem is something simple you can resolve yourself to get the door working, or if you’ll need to call the professional experts in from Garage Doors of Indianapolis:
- The simplest fix of all is to replace the batteries in the remote in case they’re dead. But if this doesn’t fix the issue…
- Enter the garage through its regular door and try opening the automatic using the direct switch inside your garage. If the door still doesn’t open…
- Check to see if someone manually locked the door, or possibly set the door on “vacation” or “lock” mode. If the garage door is definitely unlocked and still won’t open…
- Reset the garage door opener by unplugging it from the wall, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. If the door still doesn’t open…
- Find the “electronic eye” sensors and see if they are dirty. The sensors are what prevent a door that is already open from closing if there’s something in the way, but on some models they can also prevent the door from opening as well if they aren’t clean. After checking and cleaning the sensors, if the door still won’t open…
- See if those same electronic eye sensors are misaligned. The thin metal on which they are mounted can accidentally get bent. If it seems like the eyes are misaligned, try bending them a little bit at a time and keep testing the door to see if it will open. If the door still won’t open, then it’s time to call Garage Doors of Indiana at 317-860-0806.
That’s about the extent of DIY things you should do in trying to get an automatic door to open. The other sorts of problems that might be keeping the door from opening might involve work that would put your safety at risk, which is why, after going through those steps, it’s time to call in an expert technician from GDI!
Annual Garage Door Maintenance for Avon Indiana Homeowners
The best way to keep your garage doors in good working order is to have a professional expert technician perform an inspection and round of maintenance at least once a year. Here’s what happens during an annual tune-up service performed by one of our fully trained and certified technicians:
- Rollers and Hinges: Inspect condition, lubricate, make any needed adjustments.
- Torsion Springs and Plates: Check condition, make any needed adjustments, lubricate.
- Extension Spring(s): Inspect and balance.
- Bolts and Nuts: Check and tighten as needed.
- Lifting Cables: Inspect and adjust as indicated.
- Tracks: Check and many any adjustments needed.
- Exterior Frame: Inspect and lubricate if needed.
- Insulation Weather-Stripping: Replace along bottom of door if deteriorated.
- Electrical Components: Inspect opener and trolley.
- Safety Systems: Check and test for proper functioning.
- Remotes/Accessories: Inspect, tune, or reprogram as needed.
As you can see, there are a lot of moving parts that all need to be properly maintained in order to ensure your garage doors can do what you expect them to do. Considering how often those doors are opened and closed on a daily basis, it should come as no surprise that those moving parts undergo a good deal of wear and tear over the course of a year. Call GDI at 317-860-0806 to schedule your annual inspection and maintenance appointment today!
Expert Garage Door Repairs by GDI: Fast, Affordable, Professional
There are all kinds of things that can go wrong with garage doors, many of which you should not attempt to address yourself because there can be serious risks to your safety. Here are some of the many kinds of repairs you might need over the years:
- Damaged Panels: Your home’s curb appeal plummets when there is visible damage to one or more panels of the garage doors. GDI may be able to repair the damaged panel or replace just the damaged panel instead of replacing the entire door.
- Spring Replacement: If the springs have gone bad on an automatic garage door, it simply won’t open. Even if only one torsion spring needs to be replaced, all the springs must then be properly balanced and equalized for smooth operation and long-term integrity. Please note that these springs are under a lot of tension because they are what do the heavy lifting of opening your garage door. This is not something you want to try to do yourself.
- Snapped Cables: Lots of garage doors have both springs and cables. A broken spring that is not repaired immediately can soon lead to the cables breaking as well, and you definitely do NOT want to be anywhere near a garage door cable when it snaps. The tension it us under can cause it to fly out like a deadly metal whip.
- Broken or Missing Roller: A replacement roller must be the exact right size for your brand and model of garage door. Let the professionals take care of this otherwise simple repair by ensuring you get the right-sized roller.
- Dead Remote: If you’ve replaced the batteries and a remote still doesn’t work, you might need a whole new remote.
- Nonfunctioning Opener: If resetting (unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds and plug it back in) the opener doesn’t do the trick, any number of issues could be the cause, such as an antenna no longer properly attached, blown circuits, malfunctioning or misaligned sensors, stuck motor, blown capacitor, stripped gears or apparatus, and so on.
- Off-Track Door: Never attempt reattaching a garage door to the rail if it has gotten off-track. Serious injury can occur. Let the certified technicians at GDI take care of this.
With your safety in mind, please call Garage Doors of Indianapolis at 317-860-0806 to book a service and repair appointment if any of the above appear to be what’s keeping your garage door from functioning properly.
With more than 1,300 customer reviews on Angie’s List that have given us an A rating, we’ve worked hard over the years to build our solid reputation with customers all over the greater Indianapolis metropolitan area, including many loyal customers in Avon, Indiana. If you are experiencing any problem with a garage door, we are ready to resolve it quickly and efficiently, and we offer a full warranty on any work we do for you. GDI is only a phone call away at 317-860-0806, or you can also fill out the contact us form on our website.
Work With Certified Technicians
Whatever your particular garage door issue might be, we are ready to resolve it quickly and efficiently – and we even offer a full warranty on the work we do for you. We’re only a phone call away at 317-279-6627, or fill out the contact us form on our website.